This highly anticipated new edition of the classic, Jolt Award-winning work has been thoroughly updated to cover Java SE 5 and Java SE 6 features introduced since the first edition. Bloch explores new design patterns and language idioms, showing you how to make the most of features ranging from generics to enums, annotations to auto boxing.
Each chapter in the book consists of several “items” presented in the form of a short, standalone essay that provides specific advice, insight into Java platform subtleties and outstanding code examples. The comprehensive descriptions and explanations for each item illuminate what to do, what not to do and why.
1. New coverage of generics, enums, annotations, auto boxing, the for-each loop, varargs, concurrency utilities and much more
2. Updated techniques and best practices on classic topics, including objects, classes, libraries, methods and serialization
3. How to avoid the traps and pitfalls of commonly misunderstood subtleties of the language
4. Focus on the language and its most fundamental libraries: java. lang, java. util, and, to a lesser extent, java. util. concurrent and java. io
2. Creating and Destroying Java
4. Classes and Interfaces