This easy-to-use, fast-moving tutorial introduces you to functional programming with Haskell. You will learn how to use Haskell in a variety of practical ways, from short scripts to large and demanding applications. Real World Haskell takes you through the basics of functional programming at a brisk pace and then helps you increase your understanding of Haskell in real-world issues like I/O, performance, dealing with data, concurrency and more as you move through each chapter.
With this book, you will:
- Understand the differences between procedural and functional programming.
- Learn the features of Haskell and how to use it to develop useful programs.
- Interact with file systems, databases and network services.
- Write solid code with automated tests, code coverage and error handling.
- Harness the power of multicore systems via concurrent and parallel programming.
You'll find plenty of hands-on exercises, along with examples of real Haskell programs that you can modify, compile and run. Whether or not you've used a functional language before, if you want to understand why Haskell is coming into its own as a practical language in so many major organizations, Real World Haskell is the best place to start.